Blog #5

Blog #5

Select 3 Things you have learned this quarter and describe how your thoughts changed, developed or were reinforced by our course work. Be sure to connect to readings and/or class discussions.

1. One thing I learned this quarter through discussions and readings is the preventative phase. There are steps to take before the behavior happens in order to prevent it from happening. This could include making classroom rules/expectations at the beginning of the year and going over them multiple times a day for a while. Another way is to practice procedures to make sure students know what is expected of them when transitioning for example. The preventative phase is something I am definitely going to use in my future classroom. Another thing that I learned about this quarter was the different authority bases and which one I feel that I connect with most. The different authority bases are legitimate authority, referent authority, expert authority, and coercive authority. The authority base I feel most connected with is referent authority. I believe that authority should be revolved around relationships and the trust that is built between the teacher and the students. I want to show my students that I care about them. One more thing that I learned this quarter was how to use rewards effectively. Anderman talks about how we need to use rewards periodically so that students gain intrinsic motivation instead of extrinsic motivation. Reward systems tend to drive extrinsic motivation where students only want to do things if there are rewards or prizes. I think that rewards are good to use periodically so that the students are treated for working hard instead of them expecting the reward and only doing the work to get that reward.

Identify one challenge/concern/question you still have about classroom management. Explain your thoughts about this issue.

I think one overall concern that I have with classroom management is that I am going to be in my classroom alone and my class is going to get out of control and I won't be able to get them all back on task. I have learned many ways to try and get students back on task but I am just afraid that they are not going to work and my classroom will be complete chaos. I think my first instinct here would be to start talking with students individually and start working my way around the classroom. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #1

Blog Post #3

Blog #4