Blog Post #3
Blog Post #3 - Classroom Rules
Good Set of classroom rules:
Not so good set of classroom rules:
What do you not like about the set of rules you selected as a poor example?
One thing that I didn't like about the set of rules that I selected as a poor example is how negative they are. Almost every single one of them begin with"don't" so they are all telling students what not to do. Clasroom rules I think should be set up completely opposite, stating things that students (and the teacher) should be doing instead of what they should not be doing. These rules are focused on safety which is something that should be focused on within the classroom rules but they are not stated how they should be. They are also not super fair, specifically the one that says "listen to the teacher". It sounds like this classroom is very teacher-cenetered as well because there is also one about the teacher stating "don't touch the teachers book". Overall, I do not like this classroom set of rules and I think they are a very poor example.
What do you like about the set of rules you selected as a good example?
One thing that I like about the set of rules that I selected as a good example is that they are all very positive and concise. This set of rules is focused on what students should be doing instead of things that they should not be doing, like the other example. There are 10 "rules" which is pretty few in number and easy for students to look at and remember, and I also believe that they are fair and realistic. A few of them that really stand out to me are "work hard and have fun", "always do your best", and "believe in yourself". I have never seen "rules" like this on a set of classroom rules and I really like the positive energy that it could bring to a classroom. There is also rules that involves safety which is good, the ones about listening and following directions, and being respectful of others.
Share a set of rules you would like to have in your classroom in the future (or ones that you hope your kids come up with if you plan to have them part of the process). Explain what you like about these rules.
One thing that we have talked about in this class is student-centered classrooms. One thing that I want to do with my students is come up with our classroom rules at the beginning of the year and then update them every so often when new things arrive. So I can't say exactly what my specific classroom rules are going to look like, but a few things that I would like to have on there would be listening and following directions, being respectful to others, and raise your hand when you have a question or comment. These are rules that I would like to have in place because I feel that they revolve around safety in a way and also the well-being and learning of other students. I want my students to raise their hands when they have questions or comments because I don't want answers blurted out and ruin the learning of their peers around them.


Katie, great thoughts about the poor set of rules. You are totally correct! I would encourage you to consider ways, though, to limit your good example down to closer to 5 rules. 10 might not feel like a lot, but we want to limit as much as possible. We do that by remaining conceptual and not duplicating. For example, the "Raise hands" rule is not conceptual but in fact the opposite. It is specific to one single behavior. However, raising hands is already covered by the next, far more conceptual, idea - "respecting others." Raising hands in a way we show respect :) - see how that works!?!
ReplyDelete