Blog #4

Blog #4

If there is one thing that seems consistent across elementary classrooms everywhere, it is the pervasive use of reward systems. How do you plan to use them? If not at all, why not? If some, how? If you plan to use them a lot, what is your evidence for why that is the best plan?

I think that there are pros and cons when it comes to reward systems in classrooms. I feel that they motivate students to do their best, but there are students who may not be motivated by the certain reward and kids who may become discouraged when they do not receive rewards. I think that in my future classroom I will periodically use reward systems but make them so the whole class receives a reward as a whole instead of individual students. Such as class pizza parties, movie days, etc. I feel that when they are used as whole class systems instead of individual, it can make it more motivating for students to do their best. The prizes can also be larger because the teacher isn't buying a bunch of small items, but instead one item for the class. Like I said, I intend to use these reward systems periodically in the year so that students improve their intrinsic motivation over time which can lead to the internal drive to complete tasks because it is interesting and relevant, rather than the extrinsic motivation which would be students only completing the tasks because there is a reward involved. (Anderman, 2013)

What do you think of Gus' (Kovalik's) idea of a set of powerful vocabulary like the LifeSkills? Do you think you will use something like that in your classroom? Why or why not?

I love the idea of a set of powerful vocabulary like the LifeSkills in my classroom. Those LifeSkills being trustworthiness, truthfulness, active listening, no put-downs, and personal best. I think that it is important to get students familiar with these terms and actively engage in using them in the classroom on a daily basis. I think that it is important because students will take these LifeSkills with them throughout the rest of their years of schooling as well as the rest of their lives. I think it is a great idea to start with using these skills in the classroom at a young age so that the students grow to be strong, kind, good people for the rest of their lives. I will definitely be using these in my classroom in the future.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #1

Blog Post #3