Blog Post #2
Blog Post #2
Garrett's (2008) article suggests that the philosophy we adopt in our teaching should align with the philosophy we embrace in our management - but, many teachers who believe in student-centered learning struggle to give up teacher-centered management. What do you think about Garrett's premise? Why do you think teachers struggle with this?
Looking at the different extremes of custodial (teacher-centered) vs humanistic (student-centered) teachers, there is one outcome that sounds more negative with impersonal relationships, the teacher being highly controlling, punitive sanctions, and so many more. On the other side there is positive interaction and communication, close relationships, mutual respect, etc. Clearly one sounds way more inviting than the other and we all want to lean towards the more positive side, but that's not always how it works out in the end. Because teacher-centered instruction is the more "traditional" way of teaching, I feel that is why is it still so common today. Views are starting to change and the positive outcomes of student-centered instruction are becoming more known so it is the direction that educators are now encouraged to head towards. I think this is the main reason why teachers struggle with the transition. At least in my experience, I have grown up on teacher-centered learning/classrooms so that is all I have experienced and all I know. That and the fact that when student-centered teaching is happening, the teacher doesn't have full control over the students, which is hard for people to grasp and be okay with.
Gus shared his "sweet-spot" on the continuum. Where is your "sweet-spot?" Why do you believe that location is the best fit for you?
Personally, I feel that my sweet-spot is around the same spot on the continuum as Gus. I feel that my motives and opinions lead more towards a student-centered classroom rather than a teacher-centered classroom. Learning about student-centered classrooms vs teacher centered classrooms was a very hard concept for me to grasp in the beginning. I didn't even know that a student centered classroom existed. Most all of the teachers that I have had in the past were very teacher-centered, meaning they set the ground rules, they were the authority figure, and we always listened to what they said. That was what I grew up on. After learning that there can be a different way of teaching I was very moved. I have always been someone that is open to compromise, look to groups for opinions, and so on, so I now feel that student-centered teaching is the way that I want to lead. Because I grew up on teach-centered classroom, I feel that sometimes in the beginning of my teaching career my actions might lead towards teacher-centered but my goal is to be student-centered. We are all learning and growing everyday right? I want my students to be involved in everything, I want them to come together to make the classroom "rules", I want them to be able to have choice in the classroom, I want them to be able to take ownership of their own learning. After all, we are teaching the future of this world and we want them to grow up and be successful, collaborative, driven people.

Katie, I love your closing sentence. That seems to really sum up what you believe (and I agree!) and want to be and do. It won't be easy, but it will be best!
ReplyDelete