Blog Post #1

 

Blog Post #1

How are your initial thoughts about management already changing or being reinforced?

The only experience I have with management is with children I have babysat. I have hardly any experience in the classroom so my experience with classroom management is slim to none. What my preconceived notion about classroom management is, is that it is difficult but if approached in the right way, works really well. After todays first class and the bit of reading we have done, I feel that my initial thoughts are being reinforced to some degree. I am excited to dig deeper into this topic and concept and learn tons more about classroom management!

How do Charles' three purposes for management (he calls it classroom discipline) complement each other?

The three classroom disciplines are to first, remove or limit the conditions that tend to promote misbehavior. Second, teach students how to behave appropriately and support their efforts to do so. And third, intervene helpfully when students misbehave by directing them back to proper behavior. I feel that all three of Charles' purposes for management complement one another because they all come together to help students correct "bad" behavior and help direct them and help them learn what the proper behavior in the situation is. Removing or limiting the conditions to promote the misbehavior, teaching students the appropriate behavior, and intervening and redirecting students towards proper behavior all go into helping students to properly behave in the classroom and classroom management.

Which authority base are you most attracted to? Why that one?

I feel that I am most attracted to the referent authority because it revolves around positive relationships, the students viewing the teacher as someone who cares for them, positive verbal and nonverbal gestures from the teacher towards the students, and so much more. I have always dreamt of my classroom being the most positive space for students and I feel that with referent authority, this can come true.









Comments

  1. Katie,

    It sounds like you are going into the concepts of classroom management open minded and optimistic and that’s wonderful! I find that your take away of Charles’s connects to another reading we looked at which discussed the primary goal in school is preparing for democracy. Not only do we use these for management but for preparing students for the future by creating life skills. I chose the same authority base because of the highlight on positive relationships. If there is one thing I have learned in my placement is the value a teacher who brings positivity and care into a student’s world who may have had a void can do wonders for the students. Did you have a teacher that portrayed the referent authority? Or is there another authority base you can remember your teachers replicating?

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chelsea! I definitely agree that positivity and care are at the top of my priorities when it comes to teaching, thats why referent authority resonated with me the most! I actually have had a teacher in the past that portrayed referent authority and I feel that it made the classroom a way happier and special place to be. We as students looked forward to everyday in class with her because we knew that she generally cared about all of us as her own.

      Katie Byers

      Delete
  2. Katie,

    First of all, thanks for being honest about your feelings towards behavior management. I felt super inexperienced when I began my practicum. It’s been four months and some days I still feel very inexperienced! I think that’s the joy of being a life long learner in this field- each child is different, so you get to learn new things from every student. Something else you mentioned that I couldn’t agree more with is the idea that behavior must be taught for a situation. Behavior cannot be categorized as desirable or undesirable until you place it in context. For example, a parent finds their child screaming in the grocery store undesirable. However, mostly every parent would hope that their child would scream in a grocery store if there was an unsafe situation, such as somebody trying to abduct them. (Very extreme example haha). Teaching children behavior in context is so meaningful! Awesome thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emily,

      Thank you! Yes, like I stated above, my inexperience in the classroom brings me anxieties when it comes to thinking about behavior management. Obviously every student and every situation is different when it comes to behavior, so I am excited to get into the classroom when time allows so I can see what the best way to go about things are.

      Katie Byers

      Delete
  3. Hey Katie,
    I have slim to no experience in the classroom as well, and even as a mother I feel like there is so much to learn, so I am right there with you! I found our first class very helpful too and I am looking forward to learning more, this is actually one of the aspects of teaching that intimidates me most. Awesome post and I loved the images, especially the last, did you create that? It’s beautiful and very useful!! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alicen,

      Thank you! I did not create the image that I used in my initial post, I found it on the internet! But I am also so excited for this class and our practicums so that we can learn more about behavior management!

      Katie Byers

      Delete
  4. Hi katie,
    I have also not yet had experience managing in the classroom, but I can relate to experience managing while babysitting! I actually did learn some part of what it actually might be like in the classroom. But anyways, I relate to you in that sense. I really like the picture that you included in the blog post, it was really a great touch and interesting to read, and it really relates to the blog content. I can see how you would relate to the referent authority, I also found myself relating to this one because of the focus of building positive relationships with students. Personally I think that is such an important part of teaching and being a culturally responsive teacher. I feel like students will respect a teacher they actually have true respect for. What is one way that you plan to build positive relationships with your students? -Annelise Creason

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AnnElise,

      Thank you! One way that I plan on building positive relationships with my students is by greeting them at the door everyday by name. This is something that I have taken note on from one of our previous classes that I feel is super important. By greeting your students as they are walking in the door every morning, they start to feel a personal connection with you. Once this personal connection starts building, your students will start trusting you and that positive relationship that we are longing for begins. It all starts with trust.

      Katie

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blog Post #3

Blog #4